Birth control pills are one of the most reliable methods of contraception. Its effectiveness is 98%. Hormonal contraceptives are becoming more advanced every year. However, women are still afraid to take them for fear of side effects. We want to review all the advantages of birth control pills.
Such drugs are based on synthetic substitutes for estrogen and progesterone. The main function of these drugs is to prevent fertilization in several ways due to the sharing of hormones.
The most important thing for a woman who wants to use birth control pills as the main type of contraception is to be examined and consulted by a gynecologist. The fact is that all such pills have a number of contraindications. But taking hormonal contraceptives can be absolutely safe for health if the pills are chosen correctly, taking into account the individual characteristics of each woman. So, the “best” birth control pill does not exist. There are those who are most suitable for a particular woman.
|Yasmin is birth control for women that would like to prevent unwanted pregnancy. The drug prevents ovulation and makes conception impossible.||Alesse is a contraceptive that changes cervical mucus and thickness of uterine lining, thus preventing unwanted conception.|
|Ortho Tri-Cyclen is a pill containing a combination of 2 hormones: ethinyl estradiol and norgestimate. The medication is used to prevent pregnancy and treat severe acne.||Mircette is a pill containing 2 hormones: desogestrel and ethinyl estradiol. The pills are used to prevent ovulation and unwanted pregnancy. The drug is sometimes prescribed for other purposes.|
|Levlen is a combination pill that contains ethinyl estradiol and levonorgestrel that are used to prevent ovulation. The drug makes it difficult for the sperm to enter the uterus and for the fertilized egg to attach.||Yaz is a combination contraceptive used to prevent pregnancy. If used properly, the pills provide 99% protection.|
|Levonorgestrel is emergency contraception used after unprotected sex or failure of other forms of birth control. The medication can also be used for other purposes.||Ovral G is a pill that is used to prevent unwanted pregnancy. Besides, the drug will make your periods more regular, decrease blood loss and pain during menstruation, decrease the risk of ovarian cysts, and treat acne.|
|Plan B is emergency contraception that helps prevent conception when taken within 72 hours of unprotected sexual intercourse.|
So, let’s list the benefits of birth control pills:
- They help to cope with acne. One of the causes of acne is increased sebum production. The intensity of sebum production is controlled mainly by the balance of male and female sex hormones. Increased production of male hormones in a woman’s body leads to an increase in sebum secretion, and preparations containing estrogen have the opposite effect, and therefore are often used in the treatment of acne;
- They have a therapeutic effect in polycystic ovaries. Violation of the menstrual cycle of all kinds of nature is one of the first manifestations of polycystic ovary syndrome. The danger of this disease is an increased risk of developing diabetes and infertility, although in general, with early diagnosis and proper treatment, polycystic disease proceeds favorably and can be treated with hormonal contraceptive pills;
- A beneficial effect on the body during menopause. Hormonal contraceptives are used for replacement therapy in menopause and the postmenopausal period, which is characterized by a decrease in the release of hormones by the ovaries. In the pathological course of menopause, which occurs in 50% of women and is accompanied by impaired activity of the nervous, endocrine, cardiovascular systems, hormonal therapy is required;
- Effective contraceptive. Hormonal contraceptives can be monophasic and multiphase, depending on the dose of estrogen and progestogen. In monophasic preparations, the dose of hormones is constant throughout the entire cycle, while multiphase preparations imitate fluctuations in the levels of their own hormones produced by the ovaries during the cycle. That is why multiphase oral contraceptives are considered more natural and less effective in terms of contraception. Therefore are used mainly to correct hormonal status. Monophasic drugs are the best means of contraception in young women;
- Cancer protection. Studies show that women who use birth control pills are three times less likely to get ovarian or uterine cancer (endometrial cancer) than those who do not take them. The protective effect can last up to 30 years after discontinuation of the combined contraceptive pill. In addition, protection increases with each year of use. Thus, if you take a combination pill for 6 years, using a pill can reduce the risk of developing ovarian cancer or endometrium by up to 60%. Recent studies show that pills have virtually no effect on the risk of developing breast cancer. But the risk of developing colorectal cancer among women who take pills is reduced by 18 percent.
In addition, hormonal contraceptives can offer you some protection against these diseases:
- iron deficiency anemia (which may be the result of heavy periods);
- ovarian cysts;
- vaginal dryness and soreness during intercourse;
- malignant neoplasms of the breast;
- excessive body hair;
- menstrual migraines;
- symptoms of a premenstrual dysphoric disorder.
Category: Birth control
Tags: birth control pills, contraception, Contraceptives, women's health